101:比林斯(4)

A policeman hurried to the scene and started to holdthe crowd back. 一个察赶到了出事现场,把人往后推。

"Stand back!" he shouted. "The swan is wounded.Give him air!"

“退后!”他大喊,“这只天鹅受伤了。让他透透气!”

上海龙凤shlf最新地址"He's dead," said a little boy. "The bird is dead."

“他死了,”一个小男孩说,“这只鸟儿死了。”

上海龙凤shlf最新地址"He is not dead," said the salesman. "He's scared."

“他没死,”那个店员说,“他只是吓晕了。”

"Call an ambulance!" screamed a lady in the crowd.

“快叫救护车!”人中的一位女士尖叫。

A small pool of blood formed under the neck of the old cob.

老雄天鹅的脖子下面已经涌出了一小滩血。

上海龙凤shlf最新地址He seemed lifeless. Just then a game warden appeared.

他就像死了一样。这时,来了一位狩猎法执行官。

"Who shot this bird?" he demanded.

“谁朝这只鸟开的?”他问。

"I did," said the storekeeper.

上海龙凤shlf最新地址“我,”那个店主说。

"Then you're under arrest," said the warden.

“那么你被逮捕了,”这个执法官说。

上海龙凤shlf最新地址"What for?" asked the storekeeper.

上海龙凤shlf最新地址“为什么?”那个店主问。

"For shooting a Trumpeter Swan. These birds are protected by law.

“因为你击了一只号手天鹅。这些鸟是受法律保护的。

You can't pull a gun on a wild swan."

你不能向一只野天鹅开。”

"Well," replied the storekeeper, "you can't arrest me, either.

“噢,”这个店主回答,“ 那你也不能逮捕我。

上海龙凤shlf最新地址I happen to know this bird. He's a thief. He's the one you should arrest.

上海龙凤shlf最新地址我碰巧认识这只鸟。他是一个贼。他才是你该逮捕的那个。

上海龙凤shlf最新地址He's been here before, and he stole a trumpet from my store."

他以前来过这儿,从我的店里偷了一把小号。”

"Call an ambulance!" cried the lady.

“快叫救护车!”那个女士大叫。

"What's that you've got in your hand?" asked the policeman.

“你手里拿的是什么?”那个察问。

上海龙凤shlf最新地址The storekeeper quickly stuffed the money back into the moneybag and held the bag and theslate behind his back.

上海龙凤shlf最新地址这个店主飞也似的把那些钱都塞回钱袋,又把那钱袋和那块石板藏到了身后。

上海龙凤shlf最新地址"Come on, show it to me!" said the cop.

“过来,拿给我看看!”那个察说。

上海龙凤shlf最新地址"I want to see it, too," said the warden.

“我也要看。”那个执法官说。

上海龙凤shlf最新地址"We all want to see it!" cried a fellow in the crowd. "What's in that bag?"

“我们全都想看!”人上海龙凤shlf最新地址中的一个家伙叫道。“那个袋子里装的是什么?”

The storekeeper sheepishly handed the moneybag and the slate to the game warden.

上海龙凤shlf最新地址那个店主不好意思地把那钱袋和石板交给了狩猎法执行官。

The warden stood straight, put on his glasses, and read the note in a loud voice:

执行官站直身子,戴上他的眼镜,高声读着那个便条:

"To the Storekeeper of Billings: Enclosed please find four thousand four hundred and twentydollars and seventy-eight cents.

“致比林斯的店主:兹附上现金4420.78 美元,请查收。

It will pay you for the trumpet and the damage to the store.

这笔钱是用来偿付那把小号和店铺的损失的。

Sorry about the inconvenience this has caused you."

上海龙凤shlf最新地址对因此给你带来的麻烦深感歉意。”

上海龙凤shlf最新地址At the mention of the sum of money, the crowd gasped.

上海龙凤shlf最新地址当执法官读完钱的总数的时候,人们全喘了起来。

上海龙凤shlf最新地址Everyone started talking at once.

每个人都立刻议论纷纷。